Composite Products: How to Choose Multiple Products Under One Component
Today, we are going to look at a cool Composite Products feature which is one of the easiest to miss.
Out of the box, Composites do not allow multiple products to be purchased under a single Component. However, this is possible using the Product Bundles extension. Let’s see how!
For this example, we will be adding an Accessories Component to an existing Composite Product — the Full Frame DSLR Kit that you can find in the documentation of the extension.
The Kit consists of 3 Components: a Camera, a Lens and a Memory Card. Customers simply configure their own Kit by selecting a product for every Component.
The Accessories component that we are going to add includes a few items that customers can optionally select and purchase together along with the other parts of their DSLR Kit:
- a bag,
- a backpack,
- a protective SLR camera cover and
- two more accessories used for sensor cleaning.
This is what our Full Frame Kit with Accessories looks like:
The Accessories component was configured by following these steps:
- Using the Product Bundles extension, we created a new product Bundle called Full Frame Enthusiast Kit Accessories, and then added all products we wanted to appear in the Accessories component inside this Bundle.
- The visibility of this product was then set to Hidden, to prevent it from showing up in the catalog — or in any search results.
- Finally, we created a new Accessories Component and added this newly created Bundle as its only Component Option.
Here’s a look at our newly created Composite in the Dashboard:
See the new product that we just added in the Accessories Component Options? That’s a Bundle! It contains all products that now appear under the Accessories Component. Here’s how we configured it:
Found this helpful? Let us know in the comments section below 🙂