WooCommerce Subscriptions: How to pay for renewal orders with Gift Cards
About a year ago, our team built Gift Cards to give WooCommerce merchants a beautiful way to sell and accept prepaid gift cards online. To this day, the extension has helped thousands of businesses introduce their products to a wider audience and drive more revenue.
Since its initial release, Gift Cards has received many new features and integrations with other plugins, thanks to the valuable insights that many merchants and developers have shared with us. Today, it’s time to announce yet another highly requested feature, just in time for the launch of Gift Cards 1.7:
A new integration with WooCommerce Subscriptions that allows customers to pay for subscription renewals using gift cards.
How It Works
First, make sure that the feature is available and enabled on your store. After updating to Gift Cards version 1.7, log in to your WordPress dashboard and:
- Navigate to WooCommerce > Settings > Subscriptions.
- Locate the Let customers pay for renewals using their Gift Cards account balance option.
- If needed, tick its box and save your changes.
Once the feature has been enabled, customers will see a handy Pay with Gift Cards Balance toggle button when viewing their subscriptions:
- Pay with Gift Cards Balance is only available with subscription payment methods that support automatic recurring payments. Gift Cards will not automate renewal payments with payment gateways that don’t natively support this feature.
- When Pay with Gift Cards Balance is enabled, WooCommerce will attempt to use the gift cards balance of the customer’s account, and fall back to the chosen payment method for any outstanding amount. For example, if a subscription renewal costs $50 and a customer’s account has only $20 available from redeemed gift cards, then WooCommerce will use those $20 and cover the remaining $30 via the “conventional” payment gateway chosen by the customer.
- It is not possible to apply individual gift card codes to subscriptions. Subscribers who wish to use a gift card code to pay for renewals will need to add it to their account.
This new integration also makes it possible for Store Managers to enable or disable payments with gift cards balance for individual subscriptions via the WooCommerce dashboard. To make a specific subscription utilize the gift cards balance available in its subscriber’s account:
- Navigate to WooCommerce > Subscriptions.
- Select the subscription you would like to edit.
- Locate the Use gift cards balance for renewal payments dropdown and choose Yes or No.
Ideas and Suggestions
Well, that’s a wrap! We’re confident that this new feature will make gift cards even more useful to merchants who rely on WooCommerce Subscriptions. Got any ideas or suggestions? Let us know what you’d like us to build next!